Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Creating a communication through radio commercial

By Mochamad Ismail
It’s about my experience in creating a radio commercial. The job was related with the project development of a modern trade that was called Pasar Tenabang Blok B. By that time there was resistances from traders of Tenabang Blok B because they must be evacuated before the building project was started. Although there were some traders agreed with the project determination of course they supported that project. So, my job was how to make a communication between the traders and the traders, and between the traders and developer’s company.


Firstly what we did was to survey the market what really happened. What the insight of both traders whom agreed and not agreed. Also we made a dialog with the developer’s company that was the project director and the marketing director. Dialog run a few times until we got the conclusion, the essence of communication.

There were some steps to make a communication.
1. Opened dialog between traders and the company.
2. Make media releases in some newspapers
3. Make communication material like news brochure to convey the reasonable things why Tenabang Blok B must be rebuilt and the traders was evacuated.
4. Radio commercial
5.Print ad

Because the article topic is creating radio commercial so we don’t talk about others only radio commercial. Ok!

The first idea was adopted from where the most traders came from. Obviously, they were from Padang, Betawi and Chinese. I thought it was good because they had different characters. So we could make a strong radio commercial. So from this I knew how to develop that idea. I created the daily dialog among them as they were usually they did at the market. Certainly I had to keep their character as the soul of the commercial.

Shortly, I came to recording agency to take the voice. I met the dubbers. And we brainstorm about the script.

After they understood about the script, take voice was started. Firstly I let them adjust their different character in order to mix. During this I directed their emotion and intonation. But I didn’t want they feel under pressure so that was not naturally. Until take 5 we still mixed the dialog. And in take 9 we got the real best dialog.

As the script I made, actually I had the concept that the padang man was temperamental and very influenced in dialog, the betawi man was an easy going person, and the Chinese woman was just followed with they said to her. It’s just like the character in daily life.

The character in dialog finally was really naturally just like a daily dialog at the market. Although I made more emotion and a little bit dramatic. It’s a commercial, right? I was impressed with that.

At the last I didn’t direct them but let them talked by their self. It’s called a “bonus”. By this, I hope it would be more naturally.

Sometimes it’s not easy to mix different character for a dialog in 60 seconds. Although, it was finished finally. Indeed, there were still one what made me not satisfied but if I followed my satisfaction the job was never finished. Deadline was a matter.

That was my experience in making radio commercial. If you have any comment I would be appreciate that.

Image source: Deamstime/free image

Read More...

Related Posts



0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP